Monday, June 16, 2008

TWD : Cream Puff Ring




















I have to admit, I didn't think the mint thing sounded all that good. I infused with lemon peel and vanilla bean instead. Besides, I wanted to add berries since I missed making the pie last week. Also, I just used water for the choux pastry (I've never heard of using milk in it before). Still, in reading everyone's comments, I had the same problem; the ring didn't puff and was soggy inside although the puffs were just fine. It is so reassuring to find out that I'm not the only one who had this problem.

Choux pastry is a little like magic, isn't it? The first time I made cream puffs, I just knew as I was putting the pans in the oven that there was no way those flat little blobs were going to become golden brown, air-filled, well, puffs. Magic!

This is a picture of the cook's treat -- as soon as I finish this posting, these puffs are going to be history. What is it about choux pastry and whipped cream anyway -- they make each other taste better.

And speaking of whipped cream, I can't believe how decadent I've become -- I don't even blink twice now when I pick up a quart of whipping cream at Costco.

21 comments:

Jules Someone said...

Gorgeous! I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

Oh, a quart of cream? I'm worse because I envy you and your bulk dairy. :)

CB said...

HA! I feel the same way about buying eggs by the crate instead of carton. Love the point of your puffs. Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

ostwestwind said...

You should have given the mint a try. I am not a mint lover at all, but my three gentlemen so I made it. I have to admit, I was surprised that I liked it

Nice looking puffs.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

kimberly salem said...

i totally agree about the TWD decadence!! ;) your puffs look yummy!

Engineer Baker said...

Such a cute little puff. Love all the berries in there.

Unknown said...

Yum lemon and vanilla flavor! I used a coffee liqueur and my ring was as flat as a pancake. Your cream puff looks delish and I think beautiful!

Susie Homemaker said...

This looks FAB! I think its funny too, when I come home with lots of havy cream....that stuff used ot curl up and die in the fridge waiting on me to use it! noy anymore!

Anonymous said...

Your puffs look fabulous! :)

April said...

Those berries look great, I'm sure they were just as delicious! I used vanilla bean in half of my cream too and it was so good.

Heather B said...

yum! The lemon and vanilla bean sounds delicious! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love those little puffs with the cream and fruit...so pretty, and I am going in that direction really soon...thanks for sharing your lovely photo and ideas.
~Kayte

Jaime said...

the berries look delicious w/your cream puffs! the lemon and vanilla infusion sounds delightful too, i will have to start flavoring my whipped cream!

Lauren said...

looks great! i didn't really think the mint would be good, either, but I love how you added lemon zest- sounds like ti went wonderfully with the berries!

Anonymous said...

I picked up a quart of cream at Costco yesterday and four pounds of butter. Dorie, what have you done to us?!? ;)

Prudy said...

I know what you mean about decadence-I used to only make an extra trip to the store when I was out of eggs, milk, or bread. Now I can add cream to that list, too. I've got to have it.
The puffs look delicious with the fresh berries.

Lisa T. said...

The fresh fruit looks wonderful with these puffs. I read somewhere that you need to make a small slit in your pastries when they exit the oven or the trapped steam will make them soggy inside.

Rigby said...

Your pastry looks very pretty. I like the idea of the berries-- it looks like a nice refreshing summer treat!

Di said...

Nice job on the cream puffs! I did the mint, but didn't much care for it. I like your flavors better.

Bungalow Barbara said...

How beautiful! Yum, Yum, Yum.

Dolores said...

I know what you mean... between TWD, the Daring Bakers and now Blake Bakes, I have entirely different outlook when shopping for butter, cream, flour, eggs and sugar. :) And a long term relationship with my personal trainer! Great job this week.